Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Is it possible to use my mac as a host for a blog?

Ok, I am a total noob when it comes to blogging. I don%26#039;t really understand how the whole thing really works, but I have been trying desperately to get a simple standalone blog up and running for cheap, and to make it look good. So, right now, I%26#039;ve followed some instructions about installing MAMP software on my mac and now I have installed wordpress.org software using my mac as the host. However, at the end of this installation, I don%26#039;t really know what I accomplished because I don%26#039;t know how to upload what I have to a real domain.



But my real question is, is do I have to buy an actual web host and pay approx. $60 a year? or can I use my mac and this MAMP software as a host, use the wordpress database, and then buy a domain and upload the whole blog to the domain?



Is this possible^ and can ANYBODY give me some sort of guidance to some simple step by step instructions on how to perform these actions? Thank you



Is it possible to use my mac as a host for a blog?





If you just want to get a blog up and running, go and sign up on blogger.com or wordpress.com. They host it for you and don%26#039;t charge anything, and then you don%26#039;t have to worry about all this stuff!



If you really want your own domain name, then yes, you%26#039;ll have to sign up for a web hosting plan and also pay to register your domain name, and you%26#039;d install the wordpress software on that web hosting account. Most web hosts have a little dashboard program that helps you install stuff like that. It%26#039;s not that hard.



You don%26#039;t want to use your home mac as a web host. You would need an internet connection that would support that, and most home internet connections dynamically assign the IP address, which means you wouldn%26#039;t be able to associate your domain name with your mac%26#039;s IP address because it might change without warning.



But I really think you should start off for now just signing up with one of those free services and see how you like blogging before you decide it%26#039;s worth spending the money to set up a whole site.



Is it possible to use my mac as a host for a blog?



Theoretically, you can host a blog on a mac or other personal system, although it is not really easy. The main problem is that you really need a high bandwidth connection to the internet in order to allow others to view the blog. Add to that the need to manage the server and associated security and it becomes very difficult.



If you can not afford the $60 a year to have a shared hosting account, then you should just sign up for one of the many free blogging sites such as wordpress.com



Other Replys:Try Apache server and you could host website on your computer.



But if you create website and if you like to run your website 24/7 from your computer, you will have to switch on your computer all the time and it may damage your computer in the long run.



I would like to suggest following webhosting which I use, they are excellent.



Hostmonster http://www.hostmonster.com/track/ryukend...



They offer hosting of %26quot;unlimited domains%26quot; and you will get massive webspace of 1200000 MB (1200 GB ). They only charge $5.95/month and they offer %26quot;a free Domain Name%26quot; and installing service called %26quot;Fantastico%26quot;. By using Fantastico, you could create own forum, photo gallery, shopping cart (e-commerce),your own auction site and your own blogs within few seconds. They also offer %26quot;Free Website Builder%26quot; as well.



Visit the site to check details.



Hostmonster http://www.hostmonster.com/track/ryukend...



More the list of BEST WEB HOSTING sites visit

No comments:

Post a Comment