Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Can IIS work independently?

Can IIS work independently? Or do I have to install other software like PHP, Apache, etc....? I am trying to make a web server on my own pc even just for 1 hour straight. If IIS can work independently, can anyone please teach me how to use it because I am trying to use it but when I type my IP address in my browser I see my router%26#039;s web page/configuration page/blah blah.. Please teach me how to use it and if you provide links please see to it that they are really useful.. (And please don%26#039;t advise me to sign up for a web hosting site..).. Thank you so very much for your time and help.



Can IIS work independently?





If IIS is running, check the task manager to be sure..type http://localhost in the address bar. If you see the IIS default page then you are set. You can replace that page with whatever you like. It should be in the www directory on your drive.



If you type your computers IP not the routers you should see the same thing. If you are trying the public IP (that will also be the router IP) you will need to tell the router to forward port 80 traffic to your computers IP on the LAN side of the router. Or make your computer a DMZ (bad idea). Check your routers book or help page for setting up servers.



A good help file for IIS can be found at



http://www.iisfaq.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment