Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hello can I redelegate my (.com.au) domain name to my geocites pro sevice , webhosting?

Recently I have been trying to build a website. I started a yahoo7 thought it was a good option. during my journey I ended up creating a website via Geocities.com. I payed for a geocities pro service. I thought this was great! Then just the other day I realised that it was amercan based web hosting. I could get a (.com.au) domain name. So I payed for one via a local Australian company, and now I am just mystified what to do. On the geocities service they say I can redelegate my domain name to be hosted by them. I have no idea how to do this or even if I can. Yahoo help says they only register .com or .net or .biz or .com.us but they say nothing about redelegated .



I have tried all over the yahoo sit to find someone I can email. but that was to no avail. I tried to find a local phone number for yahoo but no.All I get is US phone no. Itried ringing the company Melbourne IT who are affiliated with yahoo. they gave me a us phone number country code 1 then 800 3180783,Is that no. a freecal



Hello can I redelegate my (.com.au) domain name to my geocites pro sevice , webhosting?





Firstly, give up trying to email yahoo. It%26#039;s very rare to get hold of someone that works there.



Right in order to move your domain name you need to add the domain in your Geocities Pro account so that their webservers will answer all requests to your domain.



Next you need to obtain Geocities%26#039;s nameserver address%26#039;s - SOMETHING LIKE ns1.geocities.com and ns2.geocities.com (NOTE: Those could be real I do not know - however Geo%26#039;s NS%26#039;s should be something like it). You must use TWO (2) NameServer address%26#039;s for ANY domain name transfer. If you only supply one the registrar will not allow it to move. This is a global requirement and all hosts will operate AT LEAST 2 nameservers. Many now operate 3 or 4.



Once you know the address%26#039;s you need to log into your registrar (where you registered the domain) and change the nameservers to those address%26#039;s. You should look for an option that says %26quot;Change nameservers%26quot; or %26quot;Update DNS%26quot; etc. If in doubt refer to your registrars help pages.



If all else fails, then create an %26#039;A%26#039; record in the DNS for your domain and put in the Geocities server IP that your website is hosted on. Of course if you choose the A record option you MUST still add the domain to your account in Geo Pro - The server needs to know who%26#039;s account it belongs to.



With regards to Geocities only registering %26#039;.com or .net or .biz or .com.us%26#039; you do not need to worry. That is all that THEY REGISTER however it is not a limit of domains that they will accept. Many web hosting companies will only register a limited amount of domain extensions however most will HOST almost ANY domain that you can transfer to their servers.



Once you have transfered the domain to their servers you need to allow a maximum of 72 hours for global propagation - Where DNS servers flush their cache and re-index the domain names from their parent server.



Once your domain is on the new server do not worry if you want to change host again - You can log back into your registrar and change the nameservers again - You still have overall control of the domain (so if yahoo offer to re-register it for you when it expires you are under no obligation).



I hope this helps. If you like my answer then please vote it as the best.



J

No comments:

Post a Comment